OrmocersThe Fraunhofer Institute for Silicate Research ISC
For over 25 years, a major focus of Fraunhofer ISC’s research and development activities has been on ORMOCER®s, a material class of inorganic-organic hybrid polymers based on chemical nanotechnology. The know-how of the synthesis, functionalization and processing of ORMOCER®s has constantly advanced ever since, and they have been adapted for different kinds of applications. ORMOCER®s offer a vast variety of properties which are determined on a molecular level. The choice ofmonomeric or polymericprecursor compounds, as well as the variation of the processing parameters allow to create materials with multifunctional properties. So, there is no end to the application potential of these versatile hybrid polymer materials. Numerous products have been developed in cooperation with our project partners which are on the market today.
Typical areas of application:
- Bulk materials for mechanical, biomedical, dental, electrochemical or optical applications
- Protective coatings for polymers, glasses, ceramics, paper, metals, etc.
- Functional coatings: anti-reflective, hydrophobic/hydrophilic, antistatic, ultra barrier, decorative
- Patternable materials in (nano) biotechnology, (micro) electronics
- Adhesives, adhesion promoters
- membranes, (hollow) fibers, films
- nanoparticles, core-shell particles